Candida Albicans – When good bacteria go bad
What is Candida?
• Candida is a benign sugar fermenting yeast that is normally harmless as a single celled fungus.
• It largely resides in the digestive tract and is an integral part of intestinal ecology in small amounts.
• Fungi (in correct balance with good bacteria) are helpful in digestion and synthesis of vitamins and enzymes.
• Fungi exists everywhere. We come into contact with it on things we touch and air we breathe, but mostly in what we eat.
• When it overgrows it becomes parasitic and can take root in tissue in the mycelial form and colonise. The result is chronic inflammation which contributes to degenerative disease and multiple health problems.
What causes Candida Overgrowth?
• Internal toxins from poor digestion causing leaky gut syndrome
• Candida may be consuming your nutrients, oxidizing the essential fatty acids and leaving toxins in their place
• Sugary foods such as processed foods, sugar, sweetener, honey, maple syrup, eating lots of fruit
• Yeasty foods such as bread, marmite, cheese, wine, beer and vinegar
• Mushrooms are a fungi species and can increase the fungi population in the gut
• Antibiotics kill the good bacteria residing in our intestinal tract
What are the symptoms of Candida Overgrowth?
• Constipation, bloating, diarrhoea, excessive wind, gastritis, heartburn, indigestion, intestinal pain, nausea, food cravings and food sensitivities, hypoglycemia, colic
• Asthma, coughs, sinus problems, sore throat, thrush, bad breath
• Anxiety, depression, emotional problems, irrational fears, panic, quick anger, irritability, sleep disturbance, hyperactivity, low self esteem
• Acne, eczema, psoriasis, skin infections, hives, rash, athletes foot, fingernail and toenail fungus, dandruff
• Confusions, trouble concentrating, brain fog, memory loss or poor memory, headaches and migraines
• PMS, cramps, sexual problems, vaginal yeast infections, cystitis, infertility
• Allergies, chemical sensitivities, chronic fatigue, sore muscles, stiffness, swollen joints, gout, weight gain
Candida releases toxins into the bloodstream causing chronic inflammation!
Auto Brewery Syndrome
Candida toxic waste = Acetaldehyde
Affects the central nervous system
Interferes with hormone metabolism
Increased blood alcohol levels
Brain fog symptoms
Beta-Alenine released when proteins are digested by Candida
Lowers the amino acid Taurine
Taurine is important for:
• Magnesium and potassium to get into our cells
• Binds with toxins and removes them from the liver
Elevated Beta-Alenine causes Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD)
Getting your candida overgrowth back under control will be the first and most important step in returning your body back to health.
Help is at hand!
I hope you have found this article useful. If you need any further help with your IBS or any digestive health complaint please feel free to reach out to me and book your Free Phone consultation.
During this consultation we will go through your current symptoms in a thorough symptom analysis, discuss your current diet, provide you with some dietary advice and answer any questions you may have. There is absolutely no obligation to work with Glorious Food and this is a completely no cost consultation. You can book this here.
Or perhaps you would like to sign up to our Newsletter? We send out useful articles each month with information on how to combat IBS at home, naturally and also how to keep you and your family safe, well and healthy. You can sign up here.